Monday, January 31, 2011

My word: Focus

I've never chosen a word. I first heard of this "word" choosing on Ali Edward's Blog but could never come up with one. At first I thought I had to be "original" and couldn't think of one as literally hundreds (maybe even THOUSANDS) of people comment with their 'word'. This word is chosen for your reflection of the year - one word, to reflect the year ahead. ONE word. *ONLY* one. So very difficult for me. I'm a multi-tasker and by that I mean a do a lot of things, but never really get any one thing done (or at least done well!) Always too much on the go as I try to cram unrealistic amounts into a day that always and forever will only have 24 hrs. I read the other day (can't remember where, I must have been multi-tasking!) that a busy life doesn't mean a full life. Hello. There's an A-HA moment!
So one night while sharing my sleeping hours nursing Matthew, I began thinking and pondering my word. And then I heard my word:
FOCUS.
Ooooh, this is good for me. Focus.
For me this means to slow down. Throw away the long to-do list *gasp*.... grab the to-do list again, need that - but SHORTEN it! Have you ever stopped and looked at your to-do list and thought "Really? Do I REALLY need to do ALL this?" Probably not. Life would probably more or less stay the same if not everything had a nice solid line through it. I need to remind myself of this - REGULARLY!
Focus on what's important.
God.
Family.
Friendships.
Adventures.
The days are flying by so quickly they seem to blur into each other. I want to stay focused on today. How can I love, trust and serve God, TODAY? How can I make a difference in the life of my children, TODAY? How can I reach out and be an encouragement to others around me, TODAY?
Focus on the moments before me, and live in those moments.

2 comments:

cedargirl said...

I LOVE your word! AND you are an encourager for certain! your self snapped photo is great! You look lovely,....are you sure you have 4 children including an infant?

Jennifer said...

awwww, shucks.... thanks my friend!