Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta

K, I actually did stamp an (OK) card yesterday and one that I'm happy with (just haven't put it together yet).... I need to take photos of them and get them uploaded to show you, but.... that whole time issue that I'm strugglin' with. I have a bunch of fresh spinach in the fridge that I need to use up so I checked out one of my favorite recipe websites (www.allrecipes.com). So this is going to be our dinner tomorrow night - anyone else wanna give it a try with me? I don't have pine nuts so I'll omit that - might add a little bacon (doesn't EVERYTHING taste better with bacon? LOL) not sure what the kids will think about the sun dried tomatoes.... but I'm going for it!

Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta

SUBMITTED BY: MADBALL
PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 25 Min
READY IN 40 Min
Original recipe yield: 4 servings
INGREDIENTS
1 cup vegetable broth
12 dehydrated sun-dried tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) package uncooked penne pasta
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS
In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Remove from heat. Place the sun-dried tomatoes in the broth 15 minutes, or until softened. Drain, reserving broth, and coarsely chop.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place penne pasta in the pot, cook 9 to 12 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
Place the pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir until lightly toasted.
Heat the olive oil and red pepper flakes in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the garlic 1 minute, until tender. Mix in the spinach, and cook until almost wilted. Pour in the reserved broth, and stir in the chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Continue cooking 2 minutes, or until heated through.
In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta with the spinach and tomato mixture and pine nuts. Serve with Parmesan cheese
Guess I'll tell you tomorrow how my kids reviewed this one :)
.j.

1 comment:

kellycats said...

Mmmm...I make one very similar to this but add feta cheese and orzo pasta instead of penne. It is delicious, I think you will really enjoy it.