Tuesday, September 23, 2008

CHICKEN POT PIE.

Wow - the wind is howling out there, the fall leaves are being blown off the tears & rain is falling. Looks like fall has arrived. :( I know people love fall, and I love the beauty of fall, I'm just always so sad to say goodbye to summer. Hot sand, warm water beaches.... it doesn't get better than that. Although... the bulky sweaters can be pulled out and the bikini can be PUT AWAY ALREADY! . One of our family favorites is chicken pot pie. I don't think I've found a recipe better than Best of Bridge. I do make my own pie crust, it really is easier than it looks. If you need that recipe let me know & I'll post that one too. But for now -- I hope this recipe will warm you up on a crisp fall evening!
Chicken Pot Pie
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
3 cups of chicken broth
2 carrots, chopped in small pieces
2 potatoes, cubed in small pieces
3 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup peas
3 cups cooked & diced chicken
pastry to cover (I use a 9x13 pan and a double crust pastry works perfect!)
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Blend in flour, salt, pepper & onion. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth & thickened. Add carrots, celery & potatoes. Cook until fork tender. In a small frying pan, cook the mushrooms in butter. Add mushrooms, peas & chicken to veggie mixture. Mix well & pour into large casserole (I use a 9x13 here). Cover with rolled pastry and slash it to allow steam to escape. Bake in a preheated oven 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until pastry is golden. If pastry becomes too brown, cover loosely with foil.
Ahhhh... enjoy!
This is what we're having for dinner tonight. I'm stamping today -- took the day "off"! LOL. I only have another hour or so before it's time to get the kids so I best run and finish putting dinner together so I can finish up some cards to show you! :)
.j.
the photo above is not my own, I admit it.... :) but an image is always good with a recipe, right?

No comments: