Friday, April 17, 2009

Simple

I'm not sure if you pick a word for the year. I know Ali Edwards had that challenge on her blog over the new year. It was actually something I had never thought about before. A word. One little word that would be the foundation for the year ahead. As I read through some of the words chosen for this challenge I found myself wondering what my word would be. I found it, although I didn't verbalize it (or write it in her comments), but my word would be SIMPLIFY. As life seems to be a series of change for our family, the one thing I seem to be striving for is simplicity. Not only clearing out the clutter in the house, but in our lives too. Finding joy in the simple things. Finding peace in the simple items we have. Finding creativity in simplicity.
This card screams simple. And for that I love it. Seriously a 5 minute card. I punched out a circle, lined up my scallop punch - punched again to create this *frame*. I pencil-drew a light stem line, punched it with my sharp thingy (not sure what that is called! LOL, but a darning needle will work well too, or a tack even!) and then used embroidery floss to stitch the stem of my flower (which is actually a button - love that little package my mom got me for my birthday!!) I tied the center of the button with a little linen thread (Stampin' Up!). Once the flower was on, I glued on the frame (my 2-way glue pen from Stampin' Up! worked well for this). A little stamped Happy Birthday and a tiny little white rub on flower (again both from SU) and my card was done. It does into my August birthday folder for my Grandma - who will be turning 96 this year! Amazing!!
What do you do to simplify your life, your home, your craft space, your .... ? I'd love to hear!! :)
I hope you're weekend is sunny & lovely,
.j.

No comments: