Saturday, January 10, 2009

My take on the granola bars...

Someone asked for my revamped recipe of these granola bars... so here's what I did:

I got out my cookie sheet (with sides) and put the following:

2 cups oats
3/4 cup Wheat Germ
1 cup almonds (that I roughly chopped up)
mix them a bit, right in the tray (why dirty another bowl?!)
Toast in a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. STIR often (like every TWO MINUTES... or it'll burn on you!)
MEANWHILE... grab a pot. and dump in:
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Honey
4 TBSP Butter (which is 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt.
Bring this to a simmer, stirring constantly.
Prepare a 11x13 (9x13 would work just fine!) pan, line with wax paper & spray lightly with non-stick spray. DO this. I didn't the second time i made these, forgot, and that wax paper was ripping to get off... spray helped a ton!!
Now I grab my kitchen scale (yes, I do have one & yes, I do use it).... and I added dry fruit to it (raisins, craisins & chopped apricots) until I hit the magic 8oz weight. I'm thinking about a cup. Then I added 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds and 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds.
STIR IT ALLLLLLL together until it's really well mixed. Dump it into your prepared pan. Grab some wax paper for the top (keep your hands clean) and press it down into the pan. Let it sit for 2-3 hours before lifting it out and cutting it into bars. I also wrap them individually so they're handing to grab when we're on the run, or else all ready for school lunches :)
enjoy! It'll be one that I make again & again!
enjoy your weekend.
.j.

No comments: