Lighter General Tso's Chicken
- 1-1/4 cup brown rice (we love brown rice!!)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pound of snow peas, trimmed & halved crosswise
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp. grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 3 TBSP. brown sugar
- 2 TBSP. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
- 2 large egg whites
- course salt & ground pepper
- 1lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into 1" pieces)
- 2 TBPS. vegetable oil
- Cook rice (I love to cook it in the oven & forget about it!) MEANWHILE... in a large bowl, stir together 1 TBSP. cornstarch & 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Add snowpeas, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes; toss to combine & set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 TBSP. cornstarch, 1/2 tsp. salt & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add chicken; toss to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over med-high heat. Lift half the chicken from the egg-white mixture (shaking off excess), and add to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden (6-8 min). Transfer to plate & cook rest of chicken - then set aside.
- Add snow peas mixture to skillet. Cover & cook until snow peas are tender & sauce has thickened (3-5 min). Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat. Serve with rice.
So yummy! Enjoy.